Anchorage has a wonderful mix of migratory birds and resident birds that provide year-round opportunities for the bird photography enthusiast. That is why we created Focus on Feathers – Anchorage’s only tour dedicated to birding. For this year-round bird photo tour, we are selecting the best locations where you can find birds in any season where you visit. You will be transported to various locations in Anchorage, where your guide will provide naturalist information, guide you to the prime locations, and provide photographic tips on how to photograph birds if needed. Focus on Feathers is photographic fun for the dedicated bird photographer who wants to capture songbirds, corvids, raptors, shorebirds and more in the diverse habitat present in the Anchorage area. Departure times are based on the time of year and where birds are active and when. Throughout this bird photo tour, you’ll be offered creative and technical support by your Alaska Photo Treks guide. If you are traveling to Alaska to photograph birds, this is a great tour to start our your Alaska birding trip! Price is $275 for a solo tour, or $175 per person in a group sized 2-5. Group size is limited out of desire to not disturb birds in some sensitive habitat areas.
This is a moderate activity that involves varying levels of walking on mostly even terrain, sometimes in wet or boggy areas. Carrying your camera gear over this distance adds to the physical activity. Weather conditions may range from rain, snow, wind, and sun, and temperatures from 0°F [-18 °C] to 70°F [21°C]. This Anchorage photo tour departs in all weather (barring a weather advisory). Some of the best photo ops happen during rain, snow or fog, and birds can be active in all sorts of weather (except typically very windy conditions).
- Creative and technical photography instruction is offered by your professional, local guide.
- Natural history narrative en route.
- Tripods are available for loan.
- Light snacks and water [we strive to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in the environment, so fresh water is in a reusable bottle].
Booking Policies & Liability Waiver
CAMERA GEAR [recommended]
- Camera with manual settings
- Lens[es] ranging in focal length from at least 200mm to 400mm
- Fully charged battery [preferably at least 2]
- At least 16GB memory card
- Sturdy Tripod or monopod [we have a limited number of tripods to loan]
- Remote shutter release or cable shutter release [optional]
Photography equipment rental is available upon request.
- Layers including long-sleeve thermal shirt, fleece or sweater, and insulated outer shell jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Mud boots at least knee-height or water-proof hiking boots
Payment is confirmation your acceptance of Alaska Photo Treks Booking Policies and Liability Waiver. Please read carefully.