Moose Photo Safari
For this tour, we are selecting the best time of year and best location to see and photograph moose in the vicinity of Anchorage. You will be transported to the hillside above Anchorage, where your guide will take you on a hike into the heart of the moose rutting area in Chugach State Park. The Moose Photo Safari is photographic fun for the dedicated wildlife photographer who wants to capture this magnificent animal in its prime habitat while moose are engaging in a variety of mating behavior. Departure times vary according to sunrise. Throughout the tour, you’ll be offered creative and technical support by your Alaska Photo Treks guide. If you are traveling to Alaska to photograph wildlife, this is one of the best ways to spend time with and photograph our magnificent moose! Price is $450 for a solo tour, or $275 per person in a group sized 2-10.
Sep 15 – Oct 15 | Daily | 6-8 Hrs | From Downtown Log Cabin Visitor Information Center at 4th & F Street [or your hotel]
Duration is 6-8 hours, with departure 30 minutes before sunrise. Due to the constantly changing sunrise times at this latitude, departures are adjusted in 15-minute increments throughout the duration of the tour.
Sep 15-22: 7:00 a.m.
Sep 23-29: 7:15 a.m.
Sep 30-Oct 6: 7:30 a.m.
Oct 7-15: 7:45 a.m.
This is a sometimes strenuous activity that involves walking approximately 5-6 miles up and downhill with approximately 500-foot elevation gain on the return leg of the trip, on gravel trail and uneven, sometimes boggy terrain. Carrying your camera gear over this distance adds to the physical activity. Weather conditions may range from rain, wind, and sun, and temperatures from 25°F [-4 °C] to 50°F [10°C]. This Anchorage photo tour departs in all weather (barring a weather advisory). Some of the best photo ops happen during rain, snow or fog, and wildlife tends to be more active in cool, wet weather.
- Creative and technical photography instruction is offered by your professional, local guide.
- Natural history narrative en route.
- Tripods and a limited number of ND filters are available for loan.
- Light snacks and water [we strive to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in the environment, so fresh water is in a reusable bottle].
CAMERA GEAR [recommended]
- Camera with manual settings
- Lens[es] ranging in focal length from at least 24mm to 400mm
- Fully charged battery [preferably at least 2]
- At least 16GB memory card
- Sturdy Tripod [we have a limited number to loan]
- Remote shutter release or cable shutter release [optional]
Photography equipment rental is available upon request.
- Layers including long-sleeve thermal shirt, fleece or sweater, and insulated outer shell jacket
- Hat and gloves
- Mud boots at least knee-height
Payment is confirmation your acceptance of Alaska Photo Treks Booking Policies and Liability Waiver. Please read carefully.