Sunset Photo Safari
Chase the best light of the day, which during summer at this latitude can last several glorious hours before sunset. On this Anchorage photo tour you'll be transported to scenic locations around Cook Inlet, Turnagain Arm and Chugach State Park to shoot a variety of enchanting subjects. Sunset Photo Safari is photographic fun for everyone, from casual picture-takers using cell phone cameras to avid photographers with high-end gear. Departure times vary according to sunset and a flexible itinerary allows for spontaneous stops to photograph wildlife en route. Throughout the tour, you'll be offered creative and technical support by your Alaska Photo Treks guide. It's a great way to see the sights while honing your photography skills. Book it at the start of your Alaska trip and you'll take home your best travel photos yet!
May 1 - Aug 31 | Daily | 4 Hrs | From Downtown Log Cabin Visitor Information Center at 4th & F Street [or your hotel]
Duration is 4-hours, with departure 3-hours before sunset. Due to the constantly changing sunset times at this latitude, departures are adjusted in 15-minute increments throughout the summer.
May 1-7: 7:30p
May 8-14: 7:45p
May 15-21: 8:00p
May 22-28: 8:15p
May 29-Jun 10: 8:30p
Jun 11-25: 8:45p
Jun 26-Jul 9: 8:30p
Jul 10-16: 8:15p
Jul 17-23: 8:00p
Jul 24-30: 7:45p
Jul 31-Aug 6: 7:30p
Aug 7-13: 7:00p
Aug 14-20: 6:45p
Aug 21-27: 6:15p
Aug 28-31: 6:00p
This is a moderate activity that involves walking short distances up and downhill, on stairs and uneven terrain. Weather conditions may range from rain, wind, and sun, and temperatures from 45°F [7 °C] to 80°F [27°C]. This Anchorage photo tour departs in all weather [barring a weather advisory)]. Some of the best photo ops happen during rain, snow or fog, and wildlife tends to be more active in cool, wet weather.
- Creative and technical photography instruction is offered by your professional, local guide.
- Natural history narrative en route.
- Tripods and a limited number of ND filters are available for loan.
- Light snacks and water [we strive to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in the environment, so fresh water from a jug along with refillable cups].
CAMERA GEAR [recommended, but point-and-shoot and smartphone cameras are also welcome!]
- Camera with manual settings
- Lens[es] ranging in focal length from at least 24mm to 200mm
- Fully charged battery [preferably at least 2]
- At least 16GB memory card
- Sturdy Tripod [we have a limited number to loan]
- Remote shutter release or cable shutter release [optional]
Photography equipment rental is available upon request.
- Layers including short sleeve shirt, fleece jacket, and wind/waterproof jacket
- Comfortable walking/hiking shoes with good tread
Payment is confirmation your acceptance of Alaska Photo Treks Booking Policies and Liability Waiver. Please read carefully.