Twilight Photo Tour
Experience the magic of “off” season in Southcentral Alaska. This winter photo tour features enchanting autumn and winter scenes along Turnagain Arm, Cook Inlet and Chugach State Park from sunset to sundown. You will travel with a small group to a variety of hidden gems in the area and that are interesting for photographers and sightseers alike. Photography coaching is provided by an expert, local guide, along with narrative on natural history and points of interest. A flexible itinerary allows for spontaneous stops to photograph wildlife en route. On certain dates, there is opportunity to shoot moonrise over white-capped peaks of the Chugach Mountains. Check out Alaska Nightscapes and Anchorage Aurora Quest for other winter photo tour options.
Sep 1 – Dec 31 | Daily | 4 hrs | From Downtown Log Cabin Visitor Information Center at 4th & F Street [or your hotel]
Duration is 4-hours, with departure 3-hours before sunset. Due to the constantly changing sunset times at this latitude, departures are adjusted in 15-minute increments throughout the season.
Sep 1-7 – 5:45p
Sep 8-14 – 5:30p
Sep 15-21 – 5:00p
Sep 22-28 – 4:45p
Sep 29-Oct 5 – 4:15p
Oct 6-12 – 4:00p
Oct 13-19 – 3:30p
Oct 20-26 – 3:15p
Oct 27-Nov 3 – 3:00p
Nov 4-9 – 1:45p
Nov 10-16 – 1:15p
Nov 17-30 – 1:00p
Dec 1-28 – 12:45p
Dec 29-Dec 31 – 1:00p
This is a moderate activity that involves walking short distances uphill and downhill on uneven terrain…possibly covered with snow and ice [ice grippers are available]. Weather may range from rain or snow, wind, and sun, and temperatures from 0ºF (-17ºC) to 50ºF (10ºC). Twilight Photo Tour is an all weather tour. Some of the best photo ops happen during snowy, rainy or foggy conditions, and wildlife tends to be more active in cool weather.
- Creative and technical photography instruction is offered by your professional, local guide.
- Natural history narrative en route.
- Tripods and a limited number of ND filters are available for loan.
- Light snacks and water [we strive to reduce the amount of plastic that ends up in the environment, so fresh water from a jug along with refillable cups].
- Hot beverage selection including hot cocoa, cider, tea or coffee.
The following gear is recommended, but point-and-shoot and smartphone cameras are also welcome!
- Camera with manual settings
- Lens(es) ranging in focal length from at least 24mm to 200mm
- Fully charged battery (preferably at least 2)
- At least 16GB memory card
- Sturdy Tripod (we have a limited number to loan)
- Remote shutter release or cable shutter release (optional)
Photography equipment rental available upon request.
This list is for winter conditions. During autumn, dress appropriate for the weather. When temperatures are expected to be below 10ºF [-12ºC], consider renting Arctic gear [boots, bibs, parka], from 6th Avenue Outfitters.
- Warm and comfortable snow boots with good tread
- Moisture wicking socks
- Moister wicking under layer
- Fleece jacket
- Well insulated and snow proof outer layer [coat and pants]
- Hat, scarf and gloves
Payment is confirmation your acceptance of Alaska Photo Treks Booking Policies and Liability Waiver. Please read carefully.
[checkfront item_id=”20″ category_id=”3″ options=tabs,hidesearch]